- 3 Cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups Dairy Isle Evaporated Milk
- 3/4 Cup Melted Dairy Isle Butter
- 3 Cups Large Rolled Oats
- 12 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Fine Coconut + 1 1/2 Cups to Roll the Balls in
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, Dairy Isle butter and Dairy Isle Evaporated Milk. This mixture will foam up while boiling, so a larger pot is recommended.
- Boil together gently over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until mixture reaches about 225 -230 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Don’t start timing it until the mixture is fully at a rolling boil and don’t stir the mixture while it boils.
- Mix together the oats, 1 cup coconut and cocoa.
- Add the boiled mixture to the dry ingredients until well combined and chill well in the fridge until mixture is able to be shaped into 1 1/2 inch balls. The mixture will be quite soft and sloppy while it is still hot. It will not firm up until it is very well chilled to approximately room temperature.
- Roll the balls in additional coconut.
Makes about 4 dozen. These should ALWAYS be stored in the fridge to maintain the soft yet slightly chewy texture. They tend to be too soft at room temperature.