Serves 4 ppl
3 lbs PEI Potatoes
3 Cups Dairy Isle Sharp Cheddar
1.5 lbs Thinly Sliced Donair Meat
1 Cup Dairy Isle Donair Sauce (see recipe below)
½ Cup Finely Diced Onion
½ Cup Finely Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Green Onion
Sea Salt to Taste
- Rinse PEI Potatoes in cold water.
- Cut potatoes into long thin strips.
- Pre-cook potato strips in fryer at 350 degrees until golden brown and remove from fryer and set aside. When ready to serve add the fries back to the fryer to crisp up.
- In a frying pan sauté donair meat until crispy.
- Season fries with sea salt and place on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle shredded Dairy Isle Sharp Cheddar over top of fries.
- Place donair meat on top of the cheese.
- Place in an oven at 350 degrees until cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving platter.
- Drizzle donair sauce over top and garnish with onions, tomatoes and green onion.
Dairy Isle Maritime Donair Sauce
One 354 mL Can Dairy Isle Evaporated Milk
2/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp White Vinegar
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Donair Sauce Method:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add Dairy Isle Evaporated Milk and whisk in sugar until fully dissolved.
- SLOWLY whisk in the vinegar until it starts to thicken.
- Sprinkle in garlic powder and gently whisk to incorporate it.
- Allow to set in fridge for one hour.